On Dec. 12, a Florida appellate court upheld a negligence lawsuit against Holmes Regional Medical Center for failing to remove contaminated heparin from use after a drug company recall, which led to a patient's double amputation. The negligence suit was filed by the injured man and his wife.
The case involves a patient who underwent bypass surgery. As part of the surgical procedure, he was administered the blood thinner heparin. However, the drug was part of a manufacturer's recall several months before the patient received it because it had been contaminated. The patient developed a bacterial infection that resulted in the loss of his right foot and left leg.